If you need to cancel a trip, you need to contact the scheduler at least 1 hour before the scheduled pick up time by calling 223-9001.
Rides must be cancelled at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time, otherwise the ride will be considered a "no show". Bis-Man Transit requests that cancellations be called in as soon as possible as a courtesy to others needing a ride.
The dispatcher's clock is the correct time for determining lateness of cancellations. Clocks at the BisMan Transit office are regulated by atomic clocks on satellite time. Refer to a cell phone or atomic clock for the same time as ours.
Penalties Imposed for "No-Shows"
[Federal Regulation 49 CFR 37.125 (h)]
If a rider does not appear for a scheduled trip or did not cancel the ride at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled trip, that rider is considered a "no show."
"No shows" take up a trip that might have been filled by another rider and may reduce the number of riders that can be provided service. Therefore, "no shows" are considered to be detrimental to transit service and penalties are imposed.
Per the FTA C 4710.1 “The entity may establish an administrative process to suspend, for a reasonable period of time, the provision of complementary paratransit service to ADA eligible individuals who establish a pattern or practice of missing scheduled trips.
Trips missed by the individual for reasons beyond his or her control (including, but not limited to, trips which are missed due to operator error) shall not be a basis for determining that such a pattern or practice exists.
Records will be kept by rider name, date, and time of "no show."
In order to be considered "a no show", each of the following conditions has occurred:
- The customer has a scheduled paratransit trip.
- The ADA vehicle arrives at the scheduled pick-up point within the scheduled thirty (30) minute pickup window.
- The driver waits at least five (5) full minutes beyond the start of the scheduled pick-up window, and the customer fails to board the vehicle.
Late cancellations will be counted as a no-show for the purposes of this policy.
A late cancellation occurs when the customer (or customer's representative) fails to call dispatch thirty (30) minutes or more prior to the scheduled pick-up time to cancel his/her ride.
If the customer has more than one ride scheduled, having a no-show does not automatically cancel the rest of the rides for the day. It is still the customer's responsibility to call and cancel the remaining rides for the day. If the rides are not cancelled, and the customer does not ride, the result would be additional no-shows.
Bis-Man Transit will track scheduled trips, no-shows, and late cancellations by customers. Bis-Man Transit will identify customers who have three (3) no-shows/late cancellations within any thirty (30) day period. Each no-show/late cancellation stays on the customer's record for thirty (30) days from the day it is issued. A violation will be issued when a rider has three (3) no-shows/late cancellations within any thirty (30) day period but cannot receive multiple violations in the same thirty (30) day period. After a violation is issued, the count for the next violation starts at zero (0). Each violation stays on the customer's record for twelve (12) months from the day it was issued. After twelve (12) months from the day a violation is issued, that violation will be cleared from the customer's record.
On the day the rider violates the no-show/late cancellation policy, the following progressive action will be taken:
Appealing a Warning or Suspension
- First violation - A warning letter will be issued advising the rider that he/she has violated Bis-man Transit's no-show/late cancellation policy.
- Second violation - Customer will receive a seven (7) day* suspension.
- Third violation - Customer will receive a fourteen (14) day* suspension.
- Fourth violation - Customer will receive a twenty-one (21) day* suspension.
- Subsequent violations will result in an additional seven (7) day suspension.
Customers are given the opportunity to appeal a suspension of service with Bis-Man Transit. If any citizen using the Bis-Man Transit system has a concern or disagreement, they are asked to submit their issue in writing. All written appeals will be investigated and a response issued within five (5) working days.
If the individual is not satisfied with the response received from the Administrative office, they have the right to appeal the decision to the Bis-Man Transit Board of Directors at their next scheduled meeting.
After the Board of Directors has reviewed the situation, they will provide a written response within ten (10) working days.
No-shows are EXCUSED
when the trip is missed for the following reasons:
- The customer has a family emergency
- Mobility aid failure
- Appointment cancelled/delayed for reasons not the customers fault
- Adverse weather: Snow storm, extreme heat or extreme cold
- Staffing error: The transit coordinator did not make all the cancellations the client requested; or customer just found out the ride was scheduled for the wrong day, time, or location; or the customer was not informed that his/her pick-up time was changed, and was not ready.
No-shows or cancels are NOT EXCUSED
when the trip is missed for the following reasons:
- Customer didn't want to travel today
- Customer changed their mind about using appointment
- Customer didn't know or forgot that he/she had a ride scheduled or was supposed to call to cancel
- Customer got another ride
- Customer told someone else he/she was not planning to travel (driver, facility, etc.)
- Someone else scheduled the ride for him/her
- Customer does not want to ride with specific driver or passenger, or on a specific vehicle
The "No-Show" policy can be found in our policies and procedures guide